Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Is the General Public Losing Faith in Nonprofit Sector?


Professor Jeff Greim
Aside:  I am totally new to social media. So I will be interest to see if I really have something worth sharing each week or so, and whether others will find my “sharings” interesting.

By way of introduction, I’d like to provide some context for what will come.  In particular, I am very concerned about the sustainability of the US nonprofit  sector because I sense that the general public is losing faith in the sector’s promise to actually serve the “public good” in an effective, efficient, and economic manner.  And as public trust in the sector erodes, so will public support for the sector’s preferential tax status that is a cornerstone of how the sector operates. 

At the same time, I am hopeful that through innovation the sector can better fulfill its promise and thereby improve the quality of life in the communities in which we live and contribute to the overall health of our national and global society. With better outcomes will come greater public trust and greater public support for the sector. But developing and implementing this innovation will require the emergence of pro-active and purposeful leadership from within the sector.  

And so I anticipate that you will see these twin themes pop up periodically in my “sharings.” I also anticipate that the inspiration for my content will come from current  media stories and publications, and from class discussion that occur in the graduate nonprofit courses I teach here at Bay Path College. I welcome and encourage comments.  It is through dialogue that we truly learn and grow.  

Thanks, Jeff   

No comments:

Post a Comment